So I was running the trail today and had a thought. What would the world be like if , hypothetically, people who walked two abreast (one of which may or may not have some malaise which affected her leg in a negative manner) and brought along their large canine on a single-track trail actually let people who were running the trail go by them instead of plugging along like an Amish horse cart in the left lane of an interstate freeway while they discussed such random issues as condo purchases in Branson, MO, and "healthy" cooking classes? I would like to live in such a world.
If I wanted to go by them I would have either had to take a plunge into the ravine below risking life and limb, or attempt to go through the trees on the high ground side of the trail. The messed up part is that they turned around and looked right at me TWICE, once when I was about 20 yards back and a few seconds later when I was 2 feet behind them. But they just kept meandering down the (I mentioned single-track, didn't I?) trail until they met someone coming UP the trail towards them, who was coincidentally of the same generation as they were and also in the company of a large canine, they stepped aside to let them pass by. Really? WTF?
I think everyone should have access to the trails, including those with dogs & children, and physical/mental/geo-directional (I just made up that word, you like?) limitations but shouldn't that same access and enjoyment of the trail be granted to me as a solitary user? Were they trying to make a point that they have just as much right to the trails as runners and younger people? Well, I agree! There is nothing I love more than seeing everyone out on the trails but for crying out tears, move over before I go all snapping turtle on your ass!
Sorry about that. Rant over.
No comments:
Post a Comment