Saturday, July 19, 2008

On Change


It seems like change has been a recurring theme with me recently. There are many kinds of change but they all have one thing in common. Change is scary... ok, if not actually scary at least less than easy. It might be the departure from the known into the unknown. It might be the uncomfortableness of adapting to a new reality, doing things that don't come automatically, requiring the use of conscious thought and decision making at every turn. 

The choice I've usually made when facing change has been to steel myself, bracing for whatever comes hurtling my way on the winds of change, thinking that if I resist with all my strength change will be less painful, less work. But something that has emerged recently is the tendency to allow myself to relax and allow change to happen, which it will regardless of whether I "allow" it to or not. If change is like white-water rapids this would be the equivalent of facing downstream and navigating the drops and waterfalls instead of attempting to swim upstream all the while losing ground to the current, not to mention hitting your butt on every boulder in proximity.

This is not to say that I am not still a willful and stubborn human. It also doesn't mean that I have to love change, as one of my favorite co-workers once said. It does mean however that, as Stevie Nicks once sang, "like a willow, I can bend" and therefore I may not have to break so often. 


No comments:

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." -- Helen Keller