Once we determined which train we needed to get on, thanks to a very patient non-english speaking rail worker and a random volunteer interpreter, we left Paris and headed West on the train to Bayeux.
From there we rented a top of the line Chevy Aveo to tour the Normandy Region. This is where the story really hits its stride, and the tone was set for the rest of the trip. We knew many of the French were on strike and were, we thought, prepared for whatever might result. What we did not anticipate was not being able to take the overnight train to our final destination at the home of our friends in Southern France, where we were to stay the rest of our trip. Had the lovely girl at the Hertz counter in the Total Station in Vaucelles not told us that the "Lunea" trains were not running due to the strike we would have taken the short trip back to Paris and been stuck at the station on a Friday night with no hotel. There is no way I can express how grateful I am to that woman, I didn't even get her name. I hope that kindness comes back to you seven fold mon amie. The 90 minutes you spent helping us contact our friends, rebooking the car for a one way rental to Pau, and even rewriting the rental contract a third time to add a Neverlost GPS when one was returned literally as we were walking out to get in the car saved us untold hours of sitting, and perhaps sleeping, in the station in Paris. All I can say is merci beaucoup, and it is woefully insufficient.
After that bit of drama, the incredible charm of Port en Bessin. Behold:
This protected port lies between the D-Day Beaches known as Omaha and Gold and was my very first glimpse of the Atlantic. As we left and drove between the American and Canadian cemeteries, it was hard to associate a place so beautiful with such a sad, albeit honorable, history.
This ship was the first fishing vessel I'd seen, apparently the French fish - who knew?! Later that night we would enjoy some of the best fish I've ever had at a small bistro in Saint Malo, which was still several hours up the road at this point.
No comments:
Post a Comment