AKA You might want to skip this post... it's a rant.
Politico: "... term often used to describe people who have overly political viewpoints..."
You've been warned.
I've just heard something that was both disturbing and promising. I won't name names because it's irrelevant. What is relevant is that someone I know has said that they would not vote for Barack Obama because "they would never vote for a black man.".
I was also told by someone recently that they don't trust Obama. They had no reason for it, they just don't trust him. It was almost as if this person didn't want to say why. The sad thing is that this person was someone I respect and think of as highly intelligent and thoughtful. That is disturbing without a hint of being promising.
The difference you ask? I'll try to explain. I have always feared/suspected that a huge part of the vehemence that "the right" has displayed against Obama was race-based but no one would ever come right out and say it. Instead they whispered words like "terrorist" and "muslim". They bastardize his name in voice and print so disrespectfully that any decent person would find offense, all in the effort to build the impression that he is somehow unpatriotic and not "American" enough. That he should, at the very least, be loathed and feared and possibly even removed as a candidate... or worse. So when I hear a statement like the first one above it rings true and from truth we can move forward. If we examine the fear that this person has about voting for a black man maybe we could build some understanding. When people hide behind lies or half-truths (like in the second statement) and use them as political weapons progress becomes very hard if not impossible.
Now I know that not everyone who will cast a ballot for McCain is a hate-monger, I totally get that there are good people who believe that he is a strong leader and that he will do what is best for our country. Those people should vote for McCain, without question. That is their duty as Americans. There are others however, who would vote against any "black" candidate for no other reason than he is black. That, in my opinion, is fearful and hateful and everything else that a true patriot should not and cannot be.
I love this country, I love the people who have fought and died to protect her and the rest of the world from tyrants. Many generations of my own family have done so and I could not be more proud of them. We have the heart and will to be the greatest country in the world, as we have proven time and again, and to set an example of what freedom means and what it is worth, to fulfill the highest ideals we hold as a society.
We've stood passively by while our government put the interests of corporations ahead of it's people, possibly at the cost of our children's safety and future. Do we not owe it to them now and to ourselves to choose the best person for the job ahead? I simply cannot contemplate doing anything less. That is not being a Democrat or Republican, that is being a patriot.
2 comments:
Wowee! To vote for or against some-one based on race is ludicrous, I agree. But I am afraid I am one of those in the 'just don't trust him' catagory, and I don't know why. Is it because he has (had) Muslim affiliations? Is it because of his lack of experience? Is it because he touts "America needs a change"? Is it because in the Bible it prophesizes the Anti Christ would have many of the characteristics of Obama? Is it the media brainwashing me in the shadow of 9-11? Is it because McCain is a veteran and was a POW?
However I vote in November, I will be voting for the candidate I believe truly has America's best interests paramount, here at home and across the globe. Race, color, gender, shoe size has nothing to do with being a good leader. The whole world is hurting right now, and we need America to lead the way to recovery, as usual. I love America and I truly hope the next President loves it as much as I do, and as much as those who gave thier lives for Her did. ....ramble ramble ramble....
For posterity:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/antichrist.asp
One of the more interesting notes on the snopes article above is that Islam did not come in to existence until long after Revelation was written and is not mentioned even once. Food for thought.
Post a Comment